Friday, March 9, 2007

Amster Amster Dam Dam Dam

It dawned on us yesterday that we were leaving Holland soon and should start buying some souvenirs. I also wanted to spend some more time looking at the canal houses - next to windmills, I'm a sucker for a cool looking canal house. Coby, Mom and I took the train into Amsterdam this morning. I didn't have breakfast so stopped at the first FEBO - a food automat found throughout Holland that, in addition to other delicacies, serves up a mean kroket for just
1.20 euros. We walked down Kalverstraat, the famous shopping area, stopping in pratically every souvenir shop. Then we strolled down the Herengracht, Reguliersgracht and Keizersgracht (gracht is canal in Dutch) looking at the cool architecture. On the way back we hit the Bloemenmarkt, which I wish I had known was there - I would have planned to spend more time at it. But Mappie found anemone bulbs, which made her very happy. On the way back up Kalverstraat, we passed a draaiorgel - or as I called it, much to Coby's amusement, an ordraaigel. I used to love these when I was little, so it was neat to see one so unexpectedly.

We returned home and Coby and I did some grocery shopping in Weesp. Lukie returned from visiting his father's grave in Haarlem. And Oom Leen came over to Tante Jenny's to visit his sisters. Tomorrow is another day of shopping - for kaas, krentenbollen and hagel sla (cheese, currant balls and chocolate sprinkles) - and then packing. We have reservations to go out for a final dinner together at a restaurant in Weesp, too. Although it has been a great trip, I am ready to go home and be in my own space. I am also ready to be back in the land of no smoking. Between Tante Jenny and the rest of the chain smokers in the bars and restaurants here, everything I wore reeks of cigarette smoke. While I question the constitutionality of Washington state's ban on smoking in public places, I do so love being able to eat, drink and bowl without coming home smelling like an ashtray! I am also ready for "normal" toilets and showers. Off to bed with my dreams of America...


In the middle of this pic is a cart of Heineken barrels being pulled by horses.


Me at FEBO eating my kroket


Koninklijk Paleis - the royal palace on the Dam


Moving things onto the third floor


Rembrandtplein


Canal houses


I bought this one for my next visit to Holland...


Mom and Coby


More canal houses


The 2 houses on the right are leaning forward about a good foot or so, if you look carefully. Gotta be careful when building on man made land!


An Italian restaurant in a Dutch canal house for Ellen


A street in Amsterdam


Me and Mom and a draaiorgel

1 comment:

Acorn Lane said...

So glad you bought a place! It looks so nice and spacious too - can't wait to plan a visit (Will will be thrilled... ). But seriously...when you come home you must learn how to cook all the yummy food you have discussed here. On my next visit to Seattle I will expect at least ONE night of feasting on nothing but Dutch delights. Safe travels home.